If you’ve turned on the TV in the past few months then you’ve probably heard of the Zika virus, an infectious disease that can be transmitted to humans from mosquitoes. While Zika’s symptoms can be uncomfortable — fever, joint pain, rash and/ or red eyes — the major concern is for pregnant women. There is a suspected connection between the Zika virus and women who give birth to babies with microcephaly.
What Is Microcephaly?
Microcephaly is a neurological condition that causes infants to be born with an abnormally small head and brain. Babies with microcephaly can suffer from a number of problems including hearing loss, vision problems, seizures and developmental delay.
How To Protect Yourself From Mosquitoes
You should always try to protect yourself and your loved ones from mosquitos, pregnant or not. Aside from Zika, mosquitos have been known to transmit West Nile fever, Malaria, Dengue fever and Chikungunya virus.
- Cover up. Wear long sleeved shirts and full pants when possible.
- Keep them out of the house. Close the door quickly when going in and out. Try to avoid keeping windows and doors open without secure screens.
- Wear mosquito repellent. Wearing mosquito repellent on uncovered skin can significant lower the risk of mosquito bites.
- Be aware of standing water. Just like humans in the summer, mosquitoes are attracted to standing water during hotter months.
- Build a barrier. Look into getting a barrier treatment with Dustin Pest Control.
What is Barrier Treatment?
Barrier treatment is a great way to protect your home and loved ones from the dangers of mosquitoes. One of our trained technicians will come out to your home and spray a barrier spray that will help eliminate mosquitos from entering the treated area for up to 3 weeks. In addition we will identify high risk areas to treat more aggressively. We use natural based sprays that are aggressive to mosquito but not hazardous to you or your family’s health.
Think you may need mosquito control for your home? Contact Dustin Pest Control to learn more about barrier treatment!