As the seasons continue to change, your risk of a pest problem can actually increase while temperatures drop. Do not let this risk keep you from hosting a successful and pest-free holiday party. Be proactive and follow a few tips for not attracting bugs during the holiday.
- Keep lights low – Begin your pest control from the exterior of your house. No matter what the season, and even more so in the colder months, some bugs are drawn to light. There are a few different reasons why certain insects seem to be attracted to your firepits and patio lights. One of these reasons is the warmth that some bulbs/light/fire provide. To help avoid a gathering of moths from greeting your guests at the door, try replacing your bulbs with a warm-colored LED light.
- Vents and Candles – The same delicious smells of ham or turkey and fresh baked pies are just as appealing to unwanted pests. As enjoyable as it might be to have your home filled with holiday scents, it could make you a giant magnet for bugs also looking for a feast. Cracking windows and turning on fans is like putting an open sign on your door for bugs. Make use of your kitchen vents, and light some candles. Try to avoid using sweet smelling and food-scented candles. Instead turn to an air “freshening” scents.
- Keep things covered – During the process of cooking, it can be hard to keep everything constantly covered – but you should still try especially once everything is finished. Sometimes you do not necessarily want to clean up and put all the food away. Who knows how many, second, or third servings, might be taken? Instead try your best to keep your dinner covered whether it is with foil or airtight containers – anything will help to prevent contamination. This will also help with sealing the smells that could attract flies and other insects as well.
- Keep your space clean – During a holiday party, things are certain to get messy – whether it is during food prep, eating or just plain partying. Do your best to stay on top of that mess. Clean up spills quickly and have the materials to do so available to guest and easy to access. Throw trash as it is made and remove full bags. Also, if possible, use trash cans that have a lid on them to help keep the smells from spreading.This will help prevent certain things annoyances like rats, cockroaches or ants.
- Regular pest maintenance – The weather outside is frightful, and pests are not delightful. Just like us, pests are also seeking refuge from the elements outside. While it is cooler outside, your house is warm and inviting to insects and pests. Check your home for any cracks or small openings that could be entry points and seal them. Schedule regular pest maintenance to include an inspection and even a treatment every few months.